RockyMtnBri's Times!

A dialog about the fun tech stuff I've owned over the years with pictures and links! Other aspects of my life as well as musings can be found here! Feel free to add comments!

Sunday, July 6, 2008

Me an' my toys - Minolta XG-M camera

1981 - Minolta XG-M 35 mm camera
During the summer of 1981 I started to get a yearning to express my creative side by undertaking photography as a hobby, but I had no camera. This was prompted by those visits to Willoughby's when I owned my projector and would drift into the camera department. Talking to a friend of mine at school who had an Olympus 35mm camera and let me borrow it for a few days, I decided to get one. I picked up a few photography magazines, and an ad just hit me for... the Minolta XG-M camera!

It was a brand new model that Minolta was bringing out that year and it looked to have all the features I wanted. I also bought a Minolta book that was a guide to 35 mm photography (I still have it!) and it opened my mind up to the possibilities. I kept reading about the camera and photography in general until I got back to school in September 1981, where I hooked up with my friend with the Olympus again. He was taking a photography class at Hunter, and I would tag along to see what they were learning. I even learned how to print negatives in the school's photography lab which really made me appreciate the entire process.

October 30th was the day I went to Willoughby's and bought the camera - finally I could take all the shots I wanted and create my own album of photos. My initial focus was on my friends at school and my neighborhood, along with shots at home. It wasn't until I started to travel that my eye for "postcard shots" began to develop. The following pictures were taken in Antigua (1983), Bermuda (1987), and Curacao (1992).

I used this camera for over 18 years and I feel that I have taken some amazing pictures over that time with it. It's retired now that I'm using a Canon PowerShot S2 IS digital camera now, but I wouldn't be able to take the great shots I can if not for my first SLR.

No comments: