RockyMtnBri's Times!

A dialog about the fun tech stuff I've owned over the years with pictures and links! Other aspects of my life as well as musings can be found here! Feel free to add comments!

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Me an' my movies

Since 1998 when I bought my first DVD and DVD player, I have striven to become a student of film. In that pursuit, I have created a massive library of films, but there are a few that truly stand out as masterworks. Here are my choices from the Criterion line:

Charade - please see this film and skip the terrible remake known as The Truth About Charlie
Ace In The Hole - Billy Wilder's fine commentary on the media, and let's not forget Kirk Douglas' amazing performance
Le Trou - very suspenseful and based on a true story
Wages of Fear - you'll be on the edge of your seat, over and over again
The Bad Sleep Well - excellent film-noir-ish Kurosawa
High and Low - morality tale with a twist
Sullivan's Travels - "Veronica Lake is on the take!"

Then there's the standard Hollywood fare:

Star Wars (and yes, I call it that and not Episode IV or A New Hope)
Star Trek II (Wrath of Khan, still my favorite Star Trek movie of all time)
Outland (this film just resonates in me because of the time and place when I saw it back in 1981)
Superman The Movie (December 3rd 1978 was when I went to see this, and I still love the time travel sequence)
Die Hard (the first movie me and my friends went to where we couldn't help saying "Oh, s***!" every time something blew up!)
Tron (ah, 1982, cheesy acting, groundbreaking CGI, and a video game!)
The Road Warrior (yep, I know this is known as Mad Max 2 everywhere else in the world except the US)

No comments: