RockyMtnBri's Times!

A dialog about the fun tech stuff I've owned over the years with pictures and links! Other aspects of my life as well as musings can be found here! Feel free to add comments!

Sunday, July 6, 2008

Me an' my toys - JVC RC-M70 boom box

1980 - JVC RC M70 boom box
My love of music goes back as far as when I was born - I can still remember when Respect, Tighten Up, and I Heard It Through The Grapevine were brand new. I started to buy LPs in 1977, and after a while I had a decent collection. I also made cassette tapes from the radio and our stereo in the living room - either straight or by putting the recorder right up to the speaker! Radio started to move away from AM and over to stereo FM - I was listening to WBLS and WKTU (when it was known as "Disco 92" in 1979 - remember Paco the DJ?) heavily then, especially in the late 70s when Disco was king! The only problem with that scenario is that I couldn't listen to my stuff when I wanted to!

That was when a little visit to Crazy Eddies (yeah, I went there a lot - they were Best Buy's equivalent way back then!) changed all that. They let me check out JVC's monster "boom box" (although we just called it a "box" in my neighborhood) for 1980, the RC-M70! This thing had everything - AM, FM, and short wave, a cassette player/recorder with a music search feature (it would look for gaps between songs greater that 4 seconds, and it worked!), and inputs for an auxiliary source and a turntable! One little problem - this thing cost $300, and in 1980 dollars, that was a lot of dough!

The summer of 1980 was probably the worst I've ever had in life and 1980 in general was not good for me. I started to exhibit a stiff neck in March and it didn't get better. After many trips to the HIP clinic in Washington Heights, and no conclusive diagnosis, I had a biopsy done at Mt. Sinai hospital, and we found out what was wrong... I had cancer, and it was malignant. This meant chemo over the next two years and a major life hurdle that fortunately I was able to surmount, and to this day I am cancer free! I wanted to mention that my doctor, Michael Harris, told me something on that day (June 6th) that meant so much to me and drove me forward: "I want to be invited to your wedding." Almost 20 years later I was able to grant his wish!!

OK, back to the story at hand...

Layaway is your best friend if you want something, have no credit, and can drop a few dollars here and there on the item until you can buy it. I got a lot of sympathy that year from folks, and some monetary gifts, enough so that in December of 1980 I was able to buy the RC-M70 from Crazy Eddies in the Bronx (yep, same store!) for Christmas that year! This time, I didn't feel like going through the hassle I did with the Atari, so I had two friends come with me and help me home with it - needless to say we made it!

Heading into 1981 (a great year, BTW) I actually purchased a carry bag for that 20 pound monster that ate 10 D-cell batteries and used to take it around the neighborhood and to school (always on the bus!) to blast tunes. In March of 1981 I finally bought a Technics turntable that I hooked up to it so I could finally make better mixtapes of my LPs through a direct hookup. I used my JVC up until summer of 1983, when I took it to Antigua on vacation (a friend of mine had a cousin that lived there, and we stayed for three weeks!) and my friend plugged it in and turned it on BEFORE I could change the voltage setting on it! It blew the right speaker and rendered it practically unusable after that.

No comments: