RockyMtnBri's Times!

A dialog about the fun tech stuff I've owned over the years with pictures and links! Other aspects of my life as well as musings can be found here! Feel free to add comments!

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Me an' my crayons

Red, yellow, green, blue, brown, black, orange and purple.

Once upon a time when I was young, probably around kindergarten, I was given my first set of eight Crayola crayons. Now, that may not sound like much, but think about it a second. A rainbow only has seven colors but those colors are the visible spectrum - the colors that we see. I remember when the world seemed simple enough that eight colors were enough to express it in. If you look at a child's coloring book, there are no true guidelines for children to use to color with. It's whatever they have available to them - even one color can be expressive enough in the right hands.

I had so many coloring books and blank pieces of paper on which to draw and color - I think blank sheets are best, although to defy the hidden rules of lines and boundaries by coloring outside the lines is true art. I recall teachers and students telling each other (me included) that coloring outside the lines was bad, and doing so showed a lack of fundamental understanding. As an adult I object to that because it creates very rigid thinking, hence the overuse of the phrase "think outside the box." The better phrase to use should be "there is no box" - any object seen on a printed page happens to be lines and curves that are placed in such a manner as to convey a familiar object, nothing more.

While I was writing this and searching the Crayola site, they displayed a book I think I'll pick up that addresses the issues I brought up above, albeit in a different manner - it's called Celebrate The Scribble.

When first grade arrived, I thought I'd flex my color muscles and go for the uber-pack of crayons - yes, the humongous 128 count crayon pack WITH the sharpener! I can still remember the various color names of new colors - raw umber, Indian red, flesh (yeah, I had a REAL problem with that one!), aquamarine, indigo, lavender, maroon, and other spectacular colors. Although I had all of these, I would still revert to the basics primarily because I did a lot of outdoor-themed pictures. Picnics, farms, beaches - all of these could be accomplished with the primary eight. I even made a "mistake" and colored one color over another - aha, a revelation occurred then!

To this day, I still adhere to using the simplest "colors" to convey a complex world, because it isn't about how much, it's about how you use what you have.

1 comment:

shirley said...

Taro Gomi has some fun doodling/coloring books out.

I remember lusting after the 128 box with the sharpener. I think I had to wait till 4th grade to get it!

My mom increased my box size year by year...I think it was 24, 48, 64 then 128 :-)

My kids love to draw. I love watching them create, and yes, think outside the box.